Lead Safety for Renovation, Repair, and Painting
By April 22, 2010 firms and employees performing renovation work for compensation in pre-1978 homes or child-occupied facilities that will disturb more than 6 S.F. (interior) or 20 S.F (exterior) of lead paint, or who are removing or modifying painted surfaces in the course of their work, will need to be certified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The renovator certification is valid for five years.
The classes will be taught by the EPA fully accredited FD & Associates Environmental. The training will qualify you and/or your employees for the necessary EPA certification. This course was created by the EPA with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) on how to renovate safely in housing with lead-based paint and comply with regulations.
There are a number of days on which this 8 hour class is being offered, even on Saturdays, so sign up early as class size is limited.
What Activities are Subject to the Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) Program?
- Remodeling and Repair/Maintenance
- Electrical Work
- Siding/Window Replacement
Dust from renovations, repairs, and surface preparation in pre-1978 homes and child-occupied facilities creates potential lead hazards when lead-based paint is distrubed and lead-safe work practices are not used. EPA requires training and certification for renovators.
Prevention is the goal. Lead dust from renovation work can cause lead poisoning in children, pregnant women, yourself, other workers, even pets.
Who should take this class?
- Home Improvement/Renovation Contractors
- Residential Rental Property Managers/Owners
- Maintenance Personnel
- Workers Removing or Modifying Painted Surfaces
8 Hour Course
- Registration and Introduction (photos will be taken for EPA certificate)
- Why Should I Be Concerned About Lead Paint?
- Before Beginning Work
- Contain Dust During Work
- During the Work
- Cleaning Activities and Checking Your Work
- Training Non-certified Renovation Workers
- Hands-on Activities/Review/Test